The Hedde Building is a good example of Grand Island’s historic roots. The building originates back to the 1880s when Grand Island was, thanks to the transcontinental railroad, an epicenter for trade. The city grew fast, and patrons recognized the downtown area was the heart of commerce for the burgeoning Central Nebraska town.
Fred Hedde, a pioneer who helped settle Grand Island in the 1850s, bought the corner lot on Third and Locust streets for $2,000. He built the three-story building in 1887 and the first floor became the location for several prominent business firms while business offices and Hedde’s private residence filled the upper floors. Hedde purchased the Platte Valley Paper and changed the name to the Daily Independent. He moved the newspaper into the upstairs of his new building and operated the newspaper at that location for many years. Over the decades, the 134-year-old building has housed a multitude of businesses including, Woolstenholm and Stern Clothiers, Roger’s Jewelry, Brodkey Jewelry, and Wayne’s Pawn Shop. Today, the Hedde Building is undergoing a $3.8 million renovation and is once again home to many businesses and offices, and future apartments. The Hedde Building is owned by Amos Anson and Tom Pirnie.